- WHAT IS HOMEOPATHY?
- WHAT HAPPENS DURING A HOMEOPATHIC CONSULTATION?
- WHAT IS THE ORIGIN OF HOMEOPATHY?
- HOW ARE HOMEOPATHIC REMEDIES MADE?
- HOW DO HOMEOPATHIC REMEDIES LOOK?
- HOW TO CARE FOR HOMEOPATHIC REMEDIES.
- WHAT ARE THE MEDICINES MADE FROM?
- ARE THE REMEDIES HERBS?
- WHY DO THE NAMES OF HOMEOPATHIC REMEDIES SOUND STRANGE?
- WHAT IS POTENCY?
- WHAT DOES “HPUS” STAND FOR?
- WHAT IS MOTHER TINCTURE?
- HOW DOES HOMEOPATHY WORK?
- DO I HAVE TO STOP MY MEDICATIONS?
- HOW DOES HOMEOPATHY DIFFER FROM CONVENTIONAL MEDICINE?
- DO HOMEOPATHIC REMEDIES CAUSE SIDE EFFECTS?
- WHAT DOES HOMEOPATHY COST?
- HOW DOES HOMEOPATHY HELP?
- WHAT IS AN ACUTE ILLNESS VERSUS A CHRONIC ILLNESS?
- WHAT IS CONSTITUTIONAL TREATMENT?
- WHAT IS HOMEOPROPHYLAXIS OR HOMEOPATHIC VACCINATIONS?
- CAN MUSCLE TESTING BE USED TO DETERMINE A HOMEOPATHIC REMEDY?
- WHAT IS THE VITAL FORCE?
- WHAT IS THE ORGANON?
- MORE INFORMATION ABOUT HOMEOPATHY
- WHAT IS CEASE THERAPY?
- INFORMATION ABOUT MY PRACTICE
Homeopathy – pronounced “ho•mee•ahp’•eh•thee” – is a safe, effective system of natural medicine, used by millions of people worldwide. Thirty-nine percent of physicians use Homeopathy in their practice in France, 20% in Germany, 42% in the UK, and 45% in the Netherlands. It is the leading medical system in India. In the US, 14% of physicians refer their patients for Homeopathic treatment.
“Homeopathy” is derived from the Greek words “Hómoios” and “pathos” meaning “similar suffering.” It is a form of medicine founded by German physician, Samuel Hahnemann, who lived from 1755-1843.
The practice is based on the fact that natural substances that cause illness can also cause healing when taken in small doses. For instance — Coffee (Coffea cruda) is known to cause sleeplessness due to a racing mind; when taken as a small homeopathic dose it helps calm the mind and relieve insomnia and restore the body to a state of balance. This is the “Law of Similars” originally discovered by the Greek physician, Hippocrates, and is known simply as “Like cures Like.”
It is interesting to note that Hippocrates discovered another law, “the law of opposites,” or Allopathy. Conventional medicine has its roots in the law of opposites and is often referred to as “allopathic medicine. More on Samuel Hahnemann
ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF HOMEOPATHIC REMEDIES COMPARED TO CONVENTIONAL MEDICINES
As stated above, conventional medicine is bases on the “law of opposites.” Let’s use allergies as an example. If a person is suffering from hay fever, with watery eyes and a burning nasal discharge, one would normally reach for an antihistamine to dry up the nasal discharge and watery eyes. An antihistamine suppresses or masks the allergy symptoms and may cause side effects such as dizziness or drowsiness. A homeopath might recommend a homeopathic remedy called Allium cepa, which is a tiny dose of a type of onion which has been specially prepared by a homeopathic pharmacy in accordance with FDA-approved guidelines. Allium cepa is a likely remedy because onions are known to cause watery eyes and a burning nasal discharge with no side effects. You may have experienced just these symptoms the last time you chopped onions while preparing a meal.
All homeopathic remedies are made in qualified, reputable homeopathic pharmacies. Remedies are specially prepared in accordance with the Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia of the United States (HPUS) and FDA-approved guidelines. They cost pennies to produce when compared to conventional medicine. They are completely safe and free from side effects. What are homeopathic remedies made from? What do remedies look like? What does potency mean? Here is a video by Boiron showing how homeopathic remedies are made. (This link will take you off-site.)
Homeopathic medicines are made from tiny amounts of natural substances and are called remedies. One blossom from a rare, wild orchid can produce enough remedy to last for decades. Usually the natural substance is then bound with lactose or milk sugar. Remedies are prepared by homeopathic pharmacies in accordance with the Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia of the United States (HPUS) and FDA-approved guidelines and cost pennies to produce when compared to conventional medicine. How do homeopathic remedies look? Why is Lactose used? How to care for homeopathic remedies. More about HPUS.
About 70% of the more than 3,000 remedies are from plant sources. Other sources are animal and mineral. The Latin names are always used as the name of the remedies, a scientific convention used throughout the world. There is no animal testing and no killing of animals. Homeopathic remedies are earth-friendly and are safe for infants, seniors, and animals. Homeopathy is truly a Green medicine. What homeopathic remedies look like.
Potency refers to the strength of the homeopathic remedy according to the number of times the remedy is diluted and succussed (rapidly shaken with a bang at the end of each shake) during its preparation. The process of dilution and succussion is called potentization. There are several potency scales, i.e. X, C, and M. These represent Roman numerals for ten, hundred, thousand. These are the dilution scales uses for homeopathic remedies. They represent the number of drops used of the remedy substance in the form of mother tincture and diluting liquid, usually water or alcohol. As an example — after one 1-drop of mother tincture to 9-drops of water is succussed the potency is 1X. To achieve 2X 1-drop of the 1X is added to 9-drops of water and then succussed, and so on.
BACK TO TOP
WHAT IS MOTHER TINCTURE?
Alcohol extract of a soluble substance not potentized, usually stored in 87% to 100% alcohol.
Homeopathy supports your natural self-healing capacity, stimulating a powerful, yet gentle, healing response. A homeopathic remedy liberates trapped energy so that you are able to self-heal on all levels, mental, emotional and physical.
Homeopathic healing is a bit like a spinning top. A person’s response to a remedy sets the top in motion, and health spirals out from the center. In my practice, I have seen amazing results. One client was able to say good-bye to 20 years of back pain in 4 months. Another was able to overcome a life-time of debilitating panic attacks in a year.
No. Homeopathy works alongside conventional medicine. It is not contraindicated.
Although conventional and Homeopathic medicines share a goal of relief of symptoms, the way in which Homeopaths view sickness and health is different. Homeopathy is a holistic medicine, meaning that it treats the whole person, not isolated symptoms. Also, Homeopaths use the least amount of medicine to stimulate the quickest restoration of health. They prescribe a single remedy once, then wait and watch for a response to determine the next course of action. Adjunct therapies, like dietary change, are also used to support a person’s healing response.
DO HOMEOPATHIC REMEDIES CAUSE SIDE EFFECTS? Link redirects away from this page to a separate article.
Remedies cost pennies when compared to conventional drugs. Homeopathy visits are typically 4-8 weeks apart, and are gradually further apart as you get better, less frequent than other modalities. Homeopathic services are often reimbursed through employee benefits such as a Section 125 Cafeteria or Flex-Spending Plan. I am a Healthways Whole Health Network Proivder. If your insurance company contracts with Healthways, you may be eligible for homeopathy at discounted rates. Five Ways To Save On Homeopathic Care.
Homeopathy offers help for serious and chronic diseases such as depression, eating disorders, digestive issues, headaches, and chronic pain. It can also be used for common sicknesses such as colds and flus, allergies, aches and pains.
A condition that is usually brief in duration and self-limiting. It either runs its course or the patient dies. A chronic illness is one that develops more slowly, last indefinitely and results in deterioration of the health, doesn’t resolve with some sort of healing intervention. Examples of acute diseases are colds, flu, and ear infections. Examples of chronic illnesses are arthritis, cancer, hypertension, thyroid disorders, and diabetes.
Treating the whole person and not the presenting symptoms of the illness. Homeopaths do not rely on common symptoms – such as spots and swollen glands suffered by a person with measles – for finding the appropriate remedy. A homeopathy takes a broader approach and looks for the symptoms that is unique to the individual who has the measles. An example of unique symptoms in a person with the measles might be if they to craved sour foods and wanted the window open, even if they were chilly Further explanation of Homeopathic Acute & Constitutional Care.
Homeoproyphylaxis is made up of two words. The first part, Homeo has Greek roots meaning similar or like, and is also the prefix of the word homeopathic. Prophylaxis, pronounced prōfəˈlaksəs, a noun meaning “action taken to prevent disease, esp. by specified means or against a specified disease.”
The practice of homeoprophylaxis is use of homeopathic remedies can also be used to help induce immunity against a particular disease. Remedies are taken orally; there are no injections. Remedies used for homeoprophylaxis are called usually nosodes.
Homeoprophylaxis is also referred to as homeopathic vaccination or homeopathic immunization. However, they are not the same thing as a vaccination or immunization. Homeoprophylaxis is not recognized. More.
Muscle testing is not a method used by classical homeopaths. Muscle testing will often lead to a remedy that may be OK, but it’s an unreliable method to determine the best possible remedy. There are over 3,000 homeopathic remedies. It is not possible to test a client for all of them.
Samuel Hahnemann (1755-1843), the founder of homeopathy, created a book in which he set down the principles and philosophy of homeopathy. This body of knowledge is called The Organon of Medicine and is studied by homeopaths today. The original version of 6th edition (thought to be Hahnemann’s last known edition) of The Organon is on display at the UCSF Library.
That energy which maintains life, or homeostasis, in the individual. It is unique from person to person, each being endowed with his or her own quality of it. The vital force is a unique principle distinct from chemical or physical phenomenon. Classical Homeopathy works at the level of the vital force. More about vital force.
- What to know About Your First Appointment
- Contact Myra
- Other services Myra offers
- Myra’s Weight loss program
- How to Order Other Remedies, Supplements, Skin Care products, etc.
- Why Choose a Certified Professional Homeopath?
- Practicing Homeopathy in California
- Certification for Homeopaths in the US Meets Federal Standards
- Five Ways To Save On Homeopathic Care
- Office Policies: Nissen Homeopathic
- Homeopathy Myths Debunked
- What is the Law of Similars?
- Homeopathy is Effective According to Swiss Federal Report
- How Will I know If I Am Getting Better with Homeopathy?
- The Force of Gentleness is Great: : The Direction of Cure
- Do Homeopathic Remedies Cause Side Effects?
- What HPUS stands for
- Highlights of the History of Homeopathy in the US
- Six Signs Homeopaths Use To Evaluate Health
- Acute & Constitutional Homeopathic Care
- Samuel Hahnemann, Founder of Homeopathy
- A Synopsis of the 9 Ways to Administer a Nosode
- Holistic, Complementary, Integrative, Alternative Medicine – What are We Talking About?
- What Homeopathic Remedies Look Like
- A few books I recommend for those who are new to homeopathy.
WANT TO KNOW MORE? HERE ARE SOME RELATED SITES TO CONSIDER
- An excellent introduction to Homeopathy is Beyond Flat Earth Medicine by Timothy R. Dooley, ND, MD. The first edition is available for free on-line as a PDF download HERE.
- Homeopathy Today has a great website. Also has helpful information about the history of homeopathy.
- Homeopathy Today is brought to you by the National Center for Homeopathy.
- Hahnemann Labs, a homeopathic pharmacy based in California has a wonderful FAQ page.
- The Organon of Medicne by Samuel Hahnemann.
- Two on-line directories to help you find a board certified homeopath in your area: The Council for Homeopathic Certification and the North American Society of Homeopaths
- Homeopathic Education Services, a good source of educational material.
- InterHomeopathy, International Homeopathic Internet Journal
Copyright © 2007 –, Myra Nissen.
Would you like to include this article in your newsletter or website? You can as long as you include the following blurb with it:
This article was brought to you by Myra Nissen, CCH, RSHom(NA), Board Certified Classical Homeopath. Myra teaches women how to recognize their body’s unique needs and cues and uses Homeopathy to help empower women to take control of their bodies, health and well-being. Find out more, visit her blog www.myranissen.com/blog.