WINTER COLDS & FLU CARE
In response to the recent recall of over-the-counter infant cough syrups, we would like to suggest a safe, natural, low cost alternative. Homeopathy has a proven track record of assisting your own self-healing. Properly applied, Homoeopathy can move quickly and effectively to deter many situations. Recently Cindy Crawford declared on Oprah that she takes her homeopathic first aid kit when she is traveling with her children.
Homeopathy is a 200 year-old system of medicine that is a gentle, effective way of stimulating one’s own self-healing capacity. Homeopathy is holistic. This means all parts of a person are considered.
Homeopathy uses remedies made from plant, animal, and mineral substances that are prepared by repeated diluting and shaking. Homeopathy is based on the principle of “Like cures Like” which means a substance which is known to cause suffering in a healthy person, is used to ease suffering in an unhealthy person.
The common cold is a viral infection that affects the nose, throat, and lungs, sometimes experienced by a sore throat, stuffy nose, and perhaps congested lungs. Flu is also a viral infection expressed by headaches, fever, chills, fatigue, cough, sometimes accompanied by nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, etc.
A professional Homeopath can help decide what the best remedy is for your child. Here are some basic tips you can try for a mild cold or flu using one form of Homeopathic care called the tissue cell salts:
- When you suspect your child is developing a cold or flu make sure they get lots of rest and drink plenty of clear liquids.
- At the first sign of inflammation, dryness of the nose, headache, or fever, alternate Ferrum-phos cell salts with Kali-mur. cell salts.
- A more developed cold might have watery discharges accompanied by sneezing, cold blisters on the lip, and lost sense of smell, Natrum-mur. cell salts may help.
- For a fever with dry skin, Kali-sulph. cell salts may help promote perspiration. If these symptoms are accompanied by greenish-yellow mucous, alternate with Ferrum-phos. cell salts.
- Kali-mur. is good to use when there is a plugged sensation in the ears after a cold or flu.
Children should take 2 and infants 1 pellet(s) every half hour until the first sign of relief, then taper off. Dissolve pellets in a small amount of water and drink. If your child is not feeling any better in 6 hours, discontinue use. A positive response will be experienced with the proper remedy. If symptoms persist or worsen, seek help from a health care professional.
HELPFUL HOME CARE TIPS
- Nurture your child, encourage plenty of sleep and rest.
- Do not take your child outside if it is cold or windy.
- Make sure he has plenty of fruits, vegetables, warm soups and broths, ie., chicken or miso soup. Eliminate diary products, as it can encourage mucous production.
- It is important to keep the nose running. Try not to reach for decongestants. These irritate nasal membranes and make matters worse as they wear off. Antihistamines dry nasal passages and cause air passages to clog.
- Keep the sinuses draining – ginger tea (3 slices of fresh ginger boiled in 2 cups of water for 15 minutes, remember to breath the steam); hot ginger lemonade (to the above add the juice of 2 lemons, 1 tbs. honey and sprinkle with cayenne); sauté onions and carrots with curry powder.
- To help clear stuffy nose – pour hot water in a bowl, add a sprig of thyme, cover your head with a towel and breath the steam; use a vaporizer with rosemary or lavender essential oils, or try saline spray.
- For irritated skin below nose – dab 1 drop of calendula oil mixed with 2 tsps. of olive or almond oil.
Homeopathic remedies are proven effective in accordance with the United States (HPUS), regulated by the FDA and are free of are free of Phenylpropanolamine, which caused the recall. To find out more about Homeopathy, contact your local Homeopath. Contact Margo or Myra for future class schedule www.MyraNissen.com.
Myra Nissen, enjoys helping people achieve optimal health in body, mind and spirit. A Classical Homeopath who graduated from the Pacific Academy of Homeopathy, Myra’s practice is based in Benicia with an office in Pleasant Hill and she also participates in a community clinic she helped establish in Oakland. As an adjunct to homeopathy to assist healing and stimulate detoxification, Myra uses a system of phototherapy called Gemmotherapy. She is available for free consultations and classes at the new Elephant Pharmacy in Walnut Creek. Myra has an undergraduate degree in Cultural Anthropology and Archaeology, and an MA, Environmental Studies.
Margo Adams is dedicated to helping clients reach their health potential through this gentle method of healing. She studied at the Institute of Classical Homeopathy in San Francisco and further trained with Nicola Henriques, LCCH, MBRCP. She operates her Homeopathic practice in Vallejo. Margo has a special interest in infant, elder, and animal care. She continues her studies through seminars, study groups, mentorship, and clinical work. Margo has a BFA and a Masters in Fine Art.
The information given in this article does not take the place of medical advice. As alternative practitioners, we advise you to seek medical care for serious conditions.
Written by Myra Nissen & Margo Adams, published in Community Kids, Dec 2007, Volume 4, Issue 12.
What “HPUS” Stands For
The Nose Knows ~ Daily Care for Your Nose
Myra Nissen, CCH
Copyright © 2007–2023, Myra Nissen.
Would you like to include this article in your newsletter or website? You can as long as you include the following blurb with it:
This article was brought to you by Myra Nissen, CCH, RSHom(NA), Board Certified Classical Homeopath. Myra teaches women how to recognize their body’s unique needs and cues and uses Homeopathy to help empower women to take control of their bodies, health and well-being. Find out more, visit her blog www.myranissen.com/blog.