Seasonal allergies can take all the fun out of enjoying a long-awaited Spring day. Sneezing, burning itchy eyes, headaches and stuffy noses is an invitation to stay indoors. Flowers, new-growth and the beauty of a new season become signals that it’s time to reach for the inhalers, antihistamines, decongestants and endure a whole new list of side-effects. Drowsiness, dry-mouth, dizziness, etc.
In other words, even if they work temporarily the medicines do not address the underlying causes of allergies and the side-effects are often just a trade-off and a suppression of symptoms. If anyone knows how this feels, I certainly do because 35 years ago I was on that treadmill until I decided to consult a professional homeopath who helped me to strengthen my immune response to correct the susceptibility. I was symptom-free in a short time.
Fifteen years ago, I became a homeopathic practitioner and since then, have evaluated and treated many clients who have suffered with allergies. One such example is Rebecca who went from using an inhaler 2-3 times a day for asthma to being symptom free.
Not all allergies are caused by pollen and environmental irritants however and many people suffer from symptoms all year long. Some common allergens that are not seasonal may include molds, certain foods or food additives, common chemicals found in personal care and cleaning products, animal dander and dust mites. Whatever the cause may be, I recommend having an individual assessment in order to have an individualized approach.
Here are some care tips if you have seasonal allergies:
- Raw local honey: Eating honey over a period of time is like getting a series of immunological injections. Pollen can trigger allergic reactions whereas exposure to allergens trapped in honey have the opposite effect.
- Neti Pot: Rinsing the sinus passages from trapped allergens can relieve and prevent a stuffy nose.
- Housecleaning: Wipe surfaces to remove dust and allergens, plus vacuum carpets frequently. Mop floors also. HEPA clean air filters work well for the home. Change air conditioner and heating filters.
Two homeopathic approaches to treating all allergies:
First, there’s the Therapeutic Therapy approach and it’s important to consider that while this treatment may alleviate symptoms it more-than-likely will not be a permanent solution. If the symptoms continue a constitutional approach is best.
Secondly, the Constitutional Therapy approach is core to the practice of homeopathy. The homeopathic practitioner assesses health history, life history, patterns of responses both physically and emotionally as well as what the client wants addressed. It is best to see constitutional care once the allergy season has passed.
A simple guide on how to try homeopathic remedies:
- Look for remedy potencies 6C, 12C, or 30X or 30C.
- Without touching the pellets with your fingers, let 1-3 pellets fall into the lid of the remedy vial or a spoon.
- Slide the pellets from the lid (or spoon) under your tongue.
- Let the remedies dissolve on their own.
- Wait for a positive response. A positive response is getting relief from an attack for a period of time.
- Repeat if you feel worse or have an allergy attack.
Five homeopathic remedies to consider depending upon symptoms:
- Sabadilla (Lily Family): Treats repeated violent sneezing (10 or more sneezes in a row). You might have itching and tingling in your sinuses with thin mucus that burns skin on upper lip. Possibly an itchy pallet.
- Allium cepa (Onion Family): You have a watery nasal discharge that “drips lilke a faucet” without the sneezing. Symptoms can include the burning upper lip and watery eyes.
- Euphrasis (Eyebright): Intense sneezing, itchy burning eyes, constant blinking that makes your eyes dry out when you are sleeping. Some may also experience crusty eyelids when waking up, tickling cough and bland nasal discharge.
- Arum Triphyllum (Jack-in-the-Pulpit): There’s extreme irritation inside the nose, to lips and the face. Cracks may occur in corners of the mouth. Symptoms tend to be left-sided and sneezing more at night than during the day. Prone to laryngitis. Some may pick their nose and lick lips to relieve irritation.
- Bromium (Bromine): Chronic nasal obstruction with frequent sneezing beginning on the right side. Can worsen after exposure to dust, other irritants, and in summer. Symptoms may disappear by the ocean.
Where to purchase your homeopathic remedies:
A reputable, local health food store is a source for homeopathic remedies as is a homeopathic practitioner.
Myra Nissen, CCH
Copyright © 2019–2021, Myra Nissen.
Would you like to include this article in your newsletter or website? You can as long as you include the following blurb with it:
This article was brought to you by Myra Nissen, CCH, RSHom(NA), Board Certified Classical Homeopath. Myra teaches women how to recognize their body’s unique needs and cues and uses Homeopathy to help empower women to take control of their bodies, health and well-being. Find out more, visit her blog www.myranissen.com/blog.